Thursday, June 7, 2012

What it means to give your anything: Part 2

The other day I wrote about my desire to do something big for God, about my experiences that have given me such desires, and about my lack of resources and talents to do such things (Read the post here.). I concluded that God has used those other people I've witnessed - he has used the resources he has given them, and he will use me. After all, God has a good and perfect plan for each of us. I do not currently know what his call is for me in my life, but I'm ready and waiting. And, as I wrote in my introductory post for this blog, for now, I consider this blog a portion of my "anything."

What does it mean to give your anything? Or, as in my case, to just be ready to give your anything for Christ? I'm currently reading Bob Hostetler's "Quit Going to Church." In it, Hostetler advocates a life in which we stop going to church and start being the church. In his chapter on tithing, Hostetler makes a wonderful point that applies well to our conversation on "anything."

Hostetler points to the poor widow who put two coins - all she had - in the offering box. Jesus said that the widow's gift was more than that of all others because she gave all she had. According to Hostetler, the tithe established in the Old Testament was very much so about recognizing that everything we have belongs to God, not just about giving money and property as a routine habit.

Hostetler writes, "The way of Jesus is not the way of the ten percent. It is the way of the one hundred percent."

We must recognize that what we have, however little it may be, is a gift from God to be used for his glory. We must be ready to give one hundred percent of ourselves. As Jennie Allen suggests in her book "Anything," we must tell God we are willing and wait for his call, listen for his voice, and then be willing to act on how he guides us, no matter how much it stretches us.

No comments:

Post a Comment