Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Sexual Identity Crisis: Is it a Choice?

I get tired of people claiming our sexual identity is not a choice. Their claim is both true and false at the same time depending on the context and meaning. Here's what I mean:

1) They're right! Sexual identity is not a choice. You are born either male or female. Your personality may not line up with what society defines as masculine or feminine, and that's OK. You can live with that personality openly without it being defined as sin. But when it comes to changing your physical body parts so that you can match what society says is masculine or feminine, that's where I have a problem, and that's where things begin to collide with the absolute moral laws established in the Bible.

2) They're wrong! I can tell you without a doubt that ultimately everything is a choice. I know this because I made a choice. At one point in my life, I could have easily defined myself as a lesbian or bi hiding in the closet. I had those attractions and tendencies. But thankfully, there came a point in my life when God woke me up. I always knew my actions and thoughts were wrong — not just because someone or something told me so, but mainly because my heart knew it to be true. The point is, I chose to reject that lifestyle, despite the fact that so many would like to say that it is in my genes.

So is homosexuality or any other non-hetero sexual lifestyle a choice? Yes! No matter what you may think, you always have a choice. Even if your "sexual identity" (speaking about homosexuality, bisexuality, transgender, etc) is in your genes, you still have a choice to either embrace what you call your built-in sexual identity or to reject it and live for God rather than living for what you desire and feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment